Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Me vs. Mr. Rational?

I suppose you can chalk it up to today's society, the fact that I have a small daughter I'm always looking out for, and a little bit of my Dad's instilled fear. I am frequently nervous about someone breaking into the house and taking my sweet baby.

So I'm sure you can imagine how quickly my heartrate jumped from resting to 160 when at 4 am this morning I heard a crash. A crash loud enough to wake my husband and I simultaneously.

And here's where I can't decide if I'm irrational or if he's too rational?

Me, immediately bolt upright, asking him if he just heard that crashing, and moving towards investigating the source. He, merely rolls over and pulls the covers I've relinquished with him.

Me, at 7 months pregnant, tiptoes out of our room and checks all the doors and windows. He, is already asleep again.

Me, after a few minutes of prowling without finding the source of the crashing sound returns to bed, but tossing and turning. He, rolls over with an exasperated sigh and asks me what's wrong and responds with a casual oh something just fell when I tell him why I can't sleep.

So, the question must be asked.

Is he too rational and just doesn't think that there is the possibility at all that a random middle of the night racket could be something dangerous for his family? Or am I too irrational immediately assuming that a bump in the dark could be something dangerous for my family?

Oh and in case you're wondering, after 15 minutes of tossing and turning I got up again and discovered that the squeegee had liberated itself from it's suction cup hanger and had crash landed amongst Riley's bathtime detritus. Which just goes to answer your question Kathryn, at two, nobody bothers to pick up her mess. :)


4 comments:

  1. Hmmm remember when we heard a noise in our apartment at Pitt and we grabbed scissors and locked ourselves in a room (or something along those lines, the details are sort of fuzzy)...anyway, had Lacey been there she would have told us we were crazy, but you and I felt differently. I say it can never hurt to be a bit cautious. :) (But, that is coming from your nervous nelly friend, so....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, I think he is too rational...my hubby would've been downstairs with his weapon checking everything out....BUT...he might not have woken up until I nudged him...THEN he would have grabbed his weapon and done the investigating :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHA, I'm the irrational one who went out and purchased door alarms for everytime one of our doors opens, because i'm irrational but too cheap to go all in on the alarm system. Plus if something does happen to my house, I could care less as long as I'm the first one across the house at isabelle's side. No worries, this is exactly what happened last night when andrew's phone made a noise it has never made before at 1:45am. I think this irrational thing is a mom worry thing. damn, something to hurt our sleep even more!!! now, when you have two, you need to decided who gets who in the middle of the night! crap!
    oh i'm making this worst, i'll end my super long post now.
    kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happens when both parents are too rational!? Guess our baby will just get stolen while Matt and I sleep soundly in the upstairs bedroom with our door closed (we don't even sleep on the same level as the kiddo...) At least we don't lose any sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us some love!