Friday, November 30, 2012

Riley, at 4 years, 10 months and 6 days

I've been catching up on some posts and I couldn't forgot about my darling girl.

Listen, the year of four has been a doozy. We're up, we're down and sometimes we're upside down with no clue as to why or how we got there. Let's just say, sister is well versed in "the drama", and the most obscure tiny things can set her off.


Part of this is due to the fact that I know she's tired because she's outgrown the nap. That's not to say that she won't nap. If I lay her down, though she might say with just the right amount of 'tude, "I'll lay down, but I'm not going to close my eyes," she's out in a few minutes. However, if she naps she lays awake in her bed until almost 11 pm and still gets up by 7:30 or 8 the next morning. It's a vicious cycle because she needs the nap, but she can't take the nap.

The other part of the fearsome fours is learning that she doesn't technically have to do what we say all the time. That's been an adjustment for all of us and there are many days where I want to pull my hair out and I'm sure she does too. We're getting there and as we creep ever closer to 5, (gulp, really 5!) she's leveling out some.


Riley's big into Barbies, my little ponies, Disney princesses, and Avengers right now and always has them involved in some version of school, mama, or shopping. She recently rediscovered her love for books and is starting to spell out words she sees and is always asking us what things say. Riley still sings and dances all day long, with passion. She loves all arts and crafts and colors a bazillion pictures a day on white computer paper. Everyday it something new, but she's getting quite good at drawing people and specific scenes like fields of flowers and rainbows.

Riley and Camden are close and they have fun playing together, but they also argue over toys or space. He's old enough now to play along, but sometimes he has no idea what she's trying to do and that frustrates her.  It's been eye opening to watch the sibling dynamic because Camden thinks everything Riley does is amazing.  He is always watching her and imitating her which I think is adorable, but she finds it annoying sometimes.  She's learning the ropes of being the big sibling and she handles it with maturity beyond her years.


Riley talks all the time and always has a story to share, some real and some made up.  She uses phrases that crack us up.  Lately she's been using "certainly" a lot.  Like, if I ask her if she knows where something is she will say, "No, I certainly do not know where it is".

The years are fleeting and I can hardly believe she is almost 5.  I remember when Riley was a little baby, five year olds seemed so big to me and now she's one of them.  It's surreal to think that my first precious baby girl could already be so old, but I am thankful for a healthy, vibrant, fun, kind and loving daughter.  We have some rough moments, but each day with her sweet face is a blessing.
photo courtesy of LouLou Photography

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link! I just wanted to say that the ups and downs you describe are EXACTLY like our house! We'll have 3-4 really good days and then 2 terrible meltdown days.... The sweetest and the craziest at the same time! (and they are a year apart in age!). I can't believe she's so big - Woody still talks about Katy Perry music being Riley's favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is adorable!
    Girls are definitely very dramatic. Lexie is still so sensitive and cries a lot, but she's getting better!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us some love!