Saturday, January 24, 2015

Oh, 7.

Dear Riley,

Today you are 7.

1.  2.  3.  4.  5.  6.

7!  Oh, 7.

Just a bit before midnight last night, I snuck into your room for the last - 6 year old - kiss good night. The time flies my love, because I can't believe it's already been a year since I gave you the last - 5 year old - kiss good night.


But a year since your - 5 year old - kiss, is nothing compared to this.
Your first birthday, also on a Saturday, SIX years ago.


I can't get over your sweet one year old self.

Back to 2015...

We all slept in a little bit today, after a busy Friday night party prepping.  I came into your room, hugged you tight, kissed your beautiful face and sang Happy Birthday to you before we went downstairs.

You were surprised to find presents waiting for you at your seat at the table.  We had told you that your American Girl of the Year, Grace, (that we helped you buy after Christmas) was your gift.  You were okay with that idea, though you did casually mention a few times that maybe a surprise would be waiting for you on your birthday.

I couldn't help myself.  You were so thankful - you even complimented my wrapping job.


We got you a new brush for Grace, the second Grace book for us to read together, and BONBON!
I loved the look on your face when you saw her.


I'm glad you are perfectly happy with a stuffed dog.

You were ready for your pancakes with "special surprise things, please Mom?" after you opened your gifts.  Buttermilk pancakes, whip cream and chocolate sprinkles and then some of my scrambled eggs is the breakfast of 7 year old princesses.  You ate while enjoying "Happy Birthday!" phone calls from your Gammy + Gampy and your Tutu.


After breakfast we measured you on the growth chart. You love that you are tall.  I'm in shock over the visual of how quickly you grow.  (Your six year old measurement was marked on the left underneath the '4')


We had a bit of downtime before we split up into "the girls" and "the boys" to run some errands. My favorite part of our morning was taking you to get your nails painted. You asked for hot pink on your left hand and purple on your right - with glitter of course. It was fairly empty in there this morning so everyone on the staff was just fawning over you, wishing you Happy Birthday, gushing over your fancy dress, and hugging you.  As we walked out to go meet Daddy and Cam for lunch at El Sol, you turned to me and said, "Whoa! I got the treatment in there!"  You are always full of surprise one liners like that to make us laugh and laugh.

Camden was a little bit jealous of all the attention and excitement for you today, but he did his 4 year old best to put a smile on. He is absolutely your biggest fan, and he thinks everything you do is pretty awesome.


This year you asked for a Patisserie party, just like the American Girl of the year has. I did my best to turn our home into the whimsical Parisian bakery of your dreams. You invited ten of your sweet friends over to your patisserie, including your best bud.

Ouvert pour les affaires!


It was a very busy afternoon in Riley's Patisserie "painting" sugar cookies.  (Seriously the coolest idea ever courtesy of Michelle from Sugar Cookie Creations)


And decorating mini two tier cakes.

With lots and lots of frosting and sprinkles.

We played a hilarious game of pin Grace on the Eiffel Tower before it was time to sing and blow out the candles. It was the first year that we shared your candle moment with this many people, but you were thrilled and that's what this day is all about.

We brought back the birthday chair this year - the incredible idea of twinnie.  There's something special about sitting with each friend while you open their gift and read their card out loud.  It acknowledges the thought they put into getting a present for you and it's the perfect lesson in gratefulness.

Your friends absolutely spoiled you with a bevy of arts and crafts things that are just perfect for you, our budding creative genius.

We bid each guest an enthusiastic "BON SOIR!" as they left and then met up with Daddy and Cam and our friends for dinner at the Wing Factory.  That wasn't your venue choice, but you didn't mind because you love hanging out with them anytime you can.

Then it was home for the first chapter of Grace Stirs It Up, before I gave you the very first 7 year old kiss good night.

Oh, 7.

You used to accept everything I said as fact, but as you've matured you question me more.  That's a good thing, part of you growing up and learning to apply reason and your own logic to everything you intake.

Today in the car, you said something so clever and funny and I told you, "You are one of a kind."  You were skeptical that in a world full of people there isn't anyone like you and you challenged my statement.  I had to convince you otherwise - because it's true - there is absolutely no one like you in this world.

Riley, you are the smartest, wittiest, most loving, beautiful, hilarious and loyal little person.  It's impossible to know you and not be completely charmed by you.  I can't believe your Daddy and I made someone so amazing and I'm thankful for every second of every day we get with you.

Happy, happy, happy 7th birthday my sweet, one of a kind, Riley girl.

I love you so, I always will.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving us some love!