Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Merry, Merry Christmas

We had a wonderful Christmas.  Well, it started out a little rocky, due to another one of my neuroses, but it was wonderful other than that.

The kids woke up around 7:30 which is a perfectly acceptable time in my opinion. However, I thought I heard Riley awake at 4:00 am and I went in to check on her and then couldn't fall back asleep for a bit. So by 7:30 when they were awake I was so sound asleep that poor TG thought he'd just let me sleep. Little did he know that seeing their faces as they discovered Santa had been there was number one on my list of priorities.

I can't imagine what it's like to be married to me sometimes because I can be a bit of a wild card. (Those of you that know me just laughed I'm sure). So when TG came up to wake me he was NOT expecting me to go from sound asleep, to complete confusion, to sobbing in the bathroom in 60 seconds.

I know it's ridiculous, but my favorite part of Christmas now that I'm a mother is seeing their faces and the excitement they feel when they see the tree full of presents for the first time. All I could think as the tears rolled down my face was there was no way to get that moment back.

Thankfully Riley and Camden came up just in time for me to pull myself together and get a good dose of perspective in the form of two healthy, happy children who just couldn't wait to get me down the stairs to see that Santa had come. Poor hubs was so apologetic that I felt horrible for reacting the way I did and I quickly got myself ready to go downstairs.

 Little man was delighted with the hot wheels he found in his stocking.
 

And of course he was thrilled with his "BALL!"

So imagine his excitement when he discovered that his ball came with a hoop too!

Gigi and Papa got him a STRIDER and he hopped on there like a big boy yelling "BIIII-KUH!"

Riley was very much into Christmas this year and fully understood that it was baby Jesus' birthday and that Santa comes too.   She sang carols all month, helped buy and wrap gifts for her friends, shopped for Salvation Army angel kids, and helped me deck the halls.  It was such fun to have a little partner to partake in all the joys of Christmas.

My favorite memory of this holiday though was watching her learn about giving and the importance of helping others.  Her preschool had each child stuff a stocking for the county homeless group.  We shopped for some fun things at Target together, but when I went to turn it in I noticed something stuffed into the top.  When I opened the stocking to look I discovered one of Riley's Barbie dolls in there.  When I asked her about it she said, "I have lots Mommy and this little girl might not have any and well I thought she might like to have one."  My heart swelled with pride at her willingness to give to someone else in a time where many children can only think about getting.

Don't get me wrong though, she was definitely excited about getting a gift from Santa.  For a while she would change her answer every time we asked what she wanted from the big man.  Then with two weeks to go she decided all she wanted was "an Ar-wee-el wedding' dress that I can wear".  Santa didn't let her down and he even threw in a bouquet and wedding veil too!

She was so excited to get the Barbie Princess Charm School Blair doll and we were thankful Gigi and Papa snagged that doll early because she was sold out when I tried to find it!

Gigi and Papa were in NYC for Thanksgiving and made a special trip to the American Girl store to make a itty bitty Riley baby doll just for her. She's not big into dolls usually, but she loves her "Lilly Pillia" doll and changes her outfits regularly. I can't wait until she's a bit older so we can have tea in the store near us!

Our children were showered with many special and thoughtful gifts and had a magical Christmas day. We are so thankful to our families who love our children and were a big part in making their day so wonderful.

I hope your family had a very Merry Christmas too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving us some love!