Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cake Balls



Err ahem, more like globs I guess.

Let me start at the beginning.

I've been reading Kelly's Korner blog for a while now and I've seen cake balls in some form or another on there several times. I always thought, who makes cake balls instead of just a cake? Well, apparently smart Southern women that's who.

This Sunday while out antiquing in our favorite place I got the chance to try my first cake ball and I fell in love. So much so that when I went on my usual grocery shopping trip this week I put the ingredients for them on my list. Cake mix, frosting and melting chocolate. Easy peasy.

You can use any cake mix, icing and dipping ingredient that you like. This is where I say go big or go home. I love chocolate so of course I got chocolate fudge cake, milk chocolate frosting, AND chocolate and peanut butter morsels. If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.

Following Kelly's recipe, I baked the cake per the box instructions and while it was still warm I crumbled it in a bowl. I added the tub of frosting to this and mixed well. Then the bowl went into the refrigerator to cool for at least an hour (while I scrubbed, fed and got children in bed). Once the mixture is chilled you scoop the cake out in little balls and then dip them in your melted chocolate. This is where mine went globby.

Typical tool snubber that I am I scoffed when I saw that Kelly recommended using a melon baller to scoop the balls and a fancy egg separator to dip them in the chocolate. I figured my fingers and a regular spoon would create the same look. WRONG.















Turns out the little melon baller makes perfect bite size balls instead of giant, wonky looking clumps. And that egg separator? Keeps your cake balls finger print free.

Anyway, as ugly as mine turned out, they sure do taste good. And even if I wouldn't ever serve my first batch to you all (mostly because I'm too busy eating them myself), I hope you'll give them a try and let me know how yours turned out.

As for me, I'm calling up my personal Pampered Chef consultant to get a melon baller and egg separator. And I just might be eating a cake ball while I'm doing that.



1 comment:

  1. Carrot cake + cream cheese frosting + white chocolate = amazing.

    Rainbow chip cake + rainbow chip frosting + chocolate = super fun and husband approved (because he is really a 6 year old at heart...)

    Dang you...now I want CAKE!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us some love!