Monday, May 9, 2011

Weekly Menu

Ever since we got back from our vacation my shopping and menu planning schedule has been off. We flew home on a Tuesday night with a 6 hour time change and picked up right where we left off with work and commitments on Wednesday morning. So now, my new shopping day is Sunday and I plan my 7 days starting then.

You will notice an upswing in grilled dinners. We hosted our first Cinco de Mayo party last Thursday and realized 30 minutes prior to the party that our old grill had gone kaput. I raced to Home Depot and got a new one (already assembled) and now we're putting it to good use!

Also, I've been asked a few times about Wednesday date night. No, sadly it's not with my hubs. My friend and I both have husbands who have regular gym time on Wednesdays. Instead of managing entertainment and dinner for the kids by ourselves we decided to join forces. We usually hit up a park or our local play gym followed by dinner out.

Sunday: Mother's Day dinner out!
Monday: Grilled hamburgers and hot dogs with grilled corn on the cob
Tuesday: Chicken salad sandwiches with grilled veggies
Wednesday: Date night with Twinnie!
Thursday: Taco soup
Friday: Chili
Saturday: Grilled steaks and baked potatoes

This week's recipe is courtesy of my sister, Tata. She had it at some sort of holiday party and I made it for the first time this fall and fell in love. Easy and delicious!!!

Taco Soup

Ingredients:
1 ½ lb. Ground beef – browned and drained
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can Pinto beans
1 can Kidney beans
1 can Garbonza beans
1 can Yellow hominy
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 – 16 oz. Can chopped tomatoes
1 pkg. Taco seasoning
1 pkg. Dry hidden valley ranch dressing mix


Directions:
Mix everything in crockpot. Use the juices from the cans (do not drain). Cook in crockpot on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours. Serve with tortilla chips and shredded cheese, if desired. I also get avocados and sour cream for mine. YUM YUM!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the explanation on date night with Twinnie-i was starting to get a tad jealous of all those date nights out that you were having with your husband...however, it was also inspiring and made me want to start at least having a date night in with my hubs each week. So either way-you did a great job! You inspired this married lady! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us some love!