Saturday, February 12, 2011

Natural History Museum

Last weekend I decided I am so over the winter weather already.

I don't know when I've ever felt so impatient for spring to get here. I think it might have something to do with the fact that I have two kids and have already exhausted all indoor play options. There aren't many places to go when your kids (and you!) are all stir crazy and itching to leave the house. I can only handle the mall playground once a week and while I could manage Chick Fil A everyday of the week sadly my waistline cannot.

All this to say that last weekend I put my foot down and declared to TG that I was not going to spend all day Sunday cooped up in the house with our beloved (wild animal) children. Once he talked me off my ledge we decided to go to the Smithsonian Natural History Museum.

Even though we've lived here for several years now, I haven't been to the Smithsonian since I was a kid. I have to say that I was really impressed. Sure, most of the exhibits were way over Riley's head, but she loved it. Of course the animals, dinosaurs and insects were a big hit, but her favorite section was the human skeleton exhibit. Okay, so I was a bit weirded out when she ran over and laid herself down on a floor image of a skeleton in a coffin, but if she's not afraid no reason to make her. On the way out of there she was begging us for a bag of bones like the ones she was reassembling onto a printout of a human skeleton on a floor mat. Santa, better get to work on a forensic science lab kit for someone next year.

Little man was just taking everything in.


Checking out the giant preserved squid. Yech.


What TG would look like as a neanderthal. Hahahaha.


TG, Cam and...a BEAR! (and a flash)


Riley absolutely refused to have any photos of herself taken that day, but she happily played photographer. I wanted to take a picture of her pretending to be eaten by the T-rex, but had to settle for her pic of a T-rex instead.


P.S. Did I mention that the Hope Diamond is currently on display there? Can you say da-rooooool. It was gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving us some love!