Sunday, November 14, 2010

OTC: Knockoff PB Advent Calendar

I've been blog MIA lately, but it's for good reason.

Christmas season is upon us and I've been busy crafting around my house. I apologize if you're one of those people who doesn't like Christmas starting after Halloween ends. You might have to take a break from my blog and tune in when it's over.

Because I LOVE CHRISTMAS.

New Years? Eh. St. Patrick's Day? Blah. Halloween? It's growing on me, but only because I have kids now.

But oh Christmas. I look forward to it all year. I love everything about it and I have been mesmerized by the holiday for as long as I can remember.

So I giggled and shrieked with joy when my Pottery Barn Christmas catalog arrived two weeks ago. Truth is, I'm too poor to be buying anything out of that catalog, but it doesn't stop me from perusing it for ideas and inspiration.

Only two things made it on my board, but when I saw this I knew I was going to make one. OTC of course.


Please don't mind the push pin.

Hello beautiful little advent calendar. I want you in my house with your rustic charm and darling little gift baskets. However, I do NOT want you for $299.

Really, 300 dollars for some sticks, rope and buckets? PB big wigs, do you know we are in an economic slump?

To AC Moore I go. I get a star shaped box, half off.


And some cream colored yarn.


Then this morning I took my family on a nature walk behind our neighborhood armed with our little hand saw. TG cut down some branches for me, Camden watched leaves falling, and I explored with Riley.

4 branches, some yarn, a star box, my trusty glue gun, and about an hour later.


My version of the calendar is almost complete. I knew when I tore the picture out of the catalog that I wanted mine to be in the shape of a Christmas tree. It's a lot more rustic than theirs, but I love it. I'm working on felt "ornaments" as the little gift bags and I can't wait to fill them with her goodies.

So just how much did I spend on this project?

Sticks - free, just the labor on a lovely morning
Yarn - $1.97 at AC Moore
Star Box - $.50 at AC Moore
Felt for the ornament bags - $3.50 for 12 sheets
Glitter Felt for the numbers - $1.98 for 2 sheets

$8 for something that is retailing at $299? That's some OTC Christmas love, baby.

3 comments:

  1. We cannnot wait to see the finished project...it looks so fantastic already!!

    Take Care,
    Rachael & The A.C. Moore Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I think I might have to steal your little idea.....but not sure I'm that crafty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I love Christmas, too, but I can't decorate until Dylan's birthday is out of the way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us some love!