Monday, November 22, 2010

OTC: Knockoff PB Advent Calendar Part 2

A week ago I shared the beginnings of my Knockoff PB Advent Calendar.

When I first conceptualized this my plan was to create hanging baskets similar to the original design. However, in order to keep it OTC I was going to make paper cones from last year's left over wrapping paper. I started and made about 7 cones before I decided I just wasn't loving the look. So back to the drawing board I went. After staring at the blank tree on my wall for a day (or so) it hit me - ORNAMENTS. My sweet lil tree needed ornaments.

I traced an ice cream dish that we had and proceeded to cut out 48 circles. 24 green and 24 red. Then I used my trusty gg to glue two circles together - only gluing a semi circle so that the top would remain open for the little gifts.

Step 2 was sewing a contrasting ribbon around the edge of each ribbon. I totally could have skipped this step since they were glued closed, but I felt like the ribbon gave it a little extra charm.

I was originally going to puff paint the numbers on, but I knew I wanted a crisp uniform look. So I decided to run my sheets of glitter felt through my printer. I used Gills San Ultra bold font in Word, size 36. I also went to edit:format font: and clicked the box for outline so that they printed just the outline of each number. I did have to cut the felt to 8.5 wide and then carefully guide it through my printer, but it worked like a charm.

Next using an exacto knife I cut out each number and then pulled my gg out again to put the numbers on.

Using a needle and thread I ran contrasting ribbon through the back piece of felt on each ornament to make a loop and then used the metal ornament hangers to put each one on my tree.

For the star, I painted it with silver acrylic paint and then affixed the number.

And, here she is! Yes, I refer to my projects as my girls and if I had to name her it would be Joy. Because that's the feeling I get every time I look at this hanging on my wall!

So here's a cost recap (plus 2 additional items I needed to finish) if you missed the first post...
Sticks - free, just the labor on a lovely morning
Yarn - $1.97 at AC Moore
Star Box - $.50 at AC Moore
Felt for the ornament bags - $3.50 for 12 sheets
Glitter Felt for the numbers - $1.98 for 2 sheets
Green and red ribbon - $.50 each at AC Moore
Silver acrylic paint - $.50 at AC Moore

$9.45 for 25 days worth of my little girl's happiness AND $289 less than the store version? I have to say it again, that's some Christmas love BABY!

I'm linking up to these parties!

Pink Hippo Party



  1. LOVE how it turned out! It is cute, rustic, AND cheap. You trully created a labor of love that will last for a long time. :)

  2. I LOVE how crafty you are! You make me so jealous, I mean really...where do you find the time? Ha! I must be slacking here at the house. I love the advent calendar so much I want to make one for my house and a couple for my friends!


Thanks for leaving us some love!