Thursday, November 4, 2010

Deal

I love it where we live.

The schools are great, it's very family friendly, and there's a plethora of things to do.

I have some amazing friends, a new house that I love, and plenty to be thankful for.

But I don't have Gammy, Gampy or Tata.

It sounds like I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too, because, well, I am.

My heart twinges when I see kids out with their grandparents, at library storytime or the park.

My jealousy peaks when I see couples I know out for dates and they tell us their parents are home watching their kids.

And I tear up just a little bit when my sweet baby girl says out of the blue, "Mommy, I miss Gammy, Gampy and Tata. We goin to aircort and get dem so soon?"

Because I miss them too and I wish the answer to her question was, "YES!".

It's hard raising two small children, but I think it's even harder if you don't have any family nearby to help you. When mine visits, from the very moment they are in the door, one is on the floor playing "hersey" with Riley, another is feeding Camden and the other is asking if there is anything they can do to help out around the house. And I'm left standing there feeling like for just a moment I can take a deep breath, relax and enjoy watching my kids bond with the people I love so much. But it's only for a few days at a time and then they are gone and I'm left feeling so sad.

And I don't mean to sound like a two year old throwing a tantrum, but it's not fair.

Of course, I know life isn't fair.

I also know that I have some good friends who not only do this without the help of their family, but without their husbands for the week, a year or even longer.

So, I'm going to do what any of us has to do in this situation.

Suck it up, count my blessings and put on my big girl pants and deal with it.




But that doesn't mean I have to like it or stop hoping that someday we'll all live in the same town.

8 comments:

  1. Okay, you keep writing some posts I could write! We are on the same wavelength! Although we do have E's family in town, mine is in Louisiana and I too get sad when I think about them missing out on so much of my children's lives. I too wish we could all live in the same town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post hits close to home for me too. I must say living so far away from family is hard! I was so blessed when my sister came and lived with me when Steve deployed and Kyle was born. It was great having her around and well family was closer. In two or eight hours we could be at our parents house. I have just learned that you take every minute in that you have with your family and let them help out as much as they want. And, when all else fails, you get on the phone and call.

    Kyle sees a plane in the sky and the first thing he asks is, "are we going to pick up so-and-so?" It's hard, but you can always talk on the phone. Many hugs to you! And, I am so sorry that I haven't gotten that pattern out to you. Very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so blessed to have suchh a wonderful family!! I don't know how you do it so far away but I DO know that you are even more admirable for doing it! You are an awesome mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That has to be difficult! You're allowed to whine about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. girl I hear ya...no grandparents, no cousins, no aunts or uncles..and no DH here for most of the week....UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am on the same page with you. I whine to andrew all the time about this one. It sucks. Right now, it's mostly the lack of time to myself then worrying about Miss Isabelle, so at least your worried about your children. I'm just worried about myself! Maybe one day we can all play in KC together. :o)
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree with you more! It is hard having them miss out on our children growing up and us missing being near our family in general. I keep praying that someday someone will be tempted to move closer to us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said. My boys have 12 grandparents (all the way up to great great) within an hour of them. Having them close is a blessing, and one we would greatly miss. You certainly have the right to not like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us some love!