Sunday, September 14, 2008

Music to my ears

Riley makes so many sounds these days and it's funny that even without seeing her I can tell what she is doing and which is which. When she's really tired her cry is very high pitched, when she's frustrated it's low. When she's bored she whines and when she doesn't feel well she whines, but it's very nasal. When she's trying to get our attention she "cries" but there are no tears and she starts and stops. When something really makes her happy she shrieks and when she's excited she half chuckles half grunts. When she's chewing her little cereal puffs (think Cheerios but flavored) she blabs while she chews, "gaba baba gaba".

I've learned to love each sound because they represent so much more than noise or even her communication. When she cries I know that she has feelings and she knows that Mommy and Daddy will help her feel better (I also know that she's got a healthy set of lungs!). When she's bored whining I know it's because she's eager for more experiences and she wants more input. When she shrieks I know it's because she's learning that life is good.

But by far my most favorite sound of all is when she laughs, deep from her belly just laugh after laugh after laugh. Last night I was in the kitchen cleaning up after her bath and dinner. Matt was out in the living room doing the usual routine of getting her lotioned and diapered. He was playing her favorite game, "Where's Riley". He'll drop her little bath towel over her face and say "Where's Riley???" and she'll pull it away and Daddy says "Oh! There she is!". For whatever reason she finds this hilarious and even more so than usual last night because she was hysterically laughing. It stopped me mid-chore and in that moment I thanked God for my blessings. Just to listen to them made me smile because the happiness in their voices and laughter was palpable. As Daddy finished getting her ready she ended the game by reaching for her bottle and letting loose with one her of her little ear piercing shrieks and I thought to myself...you're right my precious girl, life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving us some love!