Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Weekly Menu

Woohoo! I managed to get this one lined up in the posting queue on time this week!

I should tell you, the truth is that while I do plan the menu every week I don't always stick to it 100%. For example on Monday I realized that an entire gallon of milk had leaked into my vegetable drawer in the fridge. In addition to the nauseating stench that was permeating our house all my veggies were ruined. So we improvised and TG hit up our local pizza joint for their sweet Monday take out deal; a large NY style pizza for only $6.99. YUM.

With that confession made, here's the plan for this week:

Tuesday: Roast Chicken with Spring Veggies (pushed over from last week's menu)
Wednesday: date night
Thursday: Carbonara with Asparagus
Friday: Egg and Prosciutto Panini
Saturday: Roast chicken with spring veggies
Sunday: Chicken Milanese with spinach salad
Monday: IKEA's swedish meatballs with mashed potatoes and lingonberry preserves
Tuesday: Chicken Parm Rollatini with Polenta

This week's recipe is from the JAN/FEB 2011 issue of Food Network Magazine. I'm a purist when it comes to chicken parmesan and if you haven't made Pioneer Woman's version yet, well then you just haven't lived. However, I also like to try new things and this recipe seemed fun!

Chicken Parmesan Rollatini- Food Network magazine April 2011

Ingredients
1 C fat free/low sodium chicken broth
1 clove of garlic, thinly sliced
1 14.5 oz. can crushed San marzano or fire roasted tomatoes
5-6 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
4 thin (1/8 in. thick) chicken cutlets (about 4 oz. each)
1/4 C chopped fresh parsley
1 C shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 C grated parmesan cheese
1/4 C breadcrumbs
1 large egg white
Cooking spray
Instant polenta, for serving (optional)

1. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 450. Cook the broth, garlic, tomatoes, and basil in a skillet over med-high heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper; place smooth-side down on a work surface. Sprinkle with the parsley and mozzarella. Starting at the short end, roll up to enclose the filling. Secure with a toothpick.
3. Mix the parmesan and breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Put the egg white in another dish and beat until foamy.
4. Mist a skillet with cooking spray. Dip the chicken rolls in the egg white, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Place in the skillet, seam-side down. Sprinkle with any remaining breadcrumbs and mist with cooking spray. Bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Serve with the tomato sauce, and polenta.

I should also note that I love fresh herbs and now that it's warmer weather where I live I am starting planter pots of herbs that I purchased from Wal-Mart that will hopefully last me all spring and summer long!

3 comments:

  1. gosh linds - how do you have time to make all these elaborate meals....I feel like a bad wife! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this last night, I'm seriously not a fan of Pork, but if you like Goat Cheese ($$$) then yummy:
    http://janalaurene.com/blog/recipes/pork-tenderloin-stuffed-with-spinach-and-sun-dried-tomatoes/
    I also want to try this, just looks like a fun way to spice up a simple favorite:
    http://janalaurene.com/blog/recipes/grilled-cheese-reinvented/
    love, Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the menu plan! I may need a blogging tutorial:). Can't believe how big the kiddo's are! I look forward to keeping up!
    A

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us some love!