Monday, April 27, 2009

You might be a redneck if...

**update JUST TOO COINCIDENTALLY FUNNY NOT TO SHARE - I got this e-mail today from my high school alumni association...

Dear Mama V,
Homer's Drive Inn, which has been in business here in Leavenworth since 1931, is one of 24 finalists for the "8 WONDERS OF KANSAS CUISINE"!! Please vote and help it win.

You are definitely a redneck if you get an e-mail soliciting your help to make this delapidated grease pit Kansas landmark one of the (ahem, gut busting laugh) "8 WONDERS OF KANSAS CUISINE".

Now on to the real post....

TG and I are Army Brats, but sadly my Army Brat travels pale in comparison to TG's. I was
born in Colorado, spent a few months in Arizona, moved to Germany where Aunt Tata was born, and then jumped around from Pennsylvania to New York before at the age of 9, I ended up in Kansas. It was supposed to be another Army move (i.e. temporary 1-2 years at most), but Gampy's job there was good and ended up becoming permanent so I became a Kansan by prolonged residency.

Now, having lived in Kansas I have certainly seen a few rednecks in my day and even put my redneck experiences and observations to good use in the form of an A+ for a speech I gave in college. Except for a few redneckish moments ahem <lightpoling in a parking lot, learning how to drive in a cemetary and cruising Sonic and the hawaiian ice stand for fun on Friday night> I have always been an East Coast girl at heart.

That is until it gets hot here, Kansas hot, like 95+ degrees and then my inner Kansan bubbles up and I beat the heat anyway I can. Like letting my sweet EC born and raised daughter do this, in our very not redneck neighborhood, in the middle of the day for all the world to gawk at enjoy.





P.S. If you stopped and asked yourself, What the heck is lightpoling?, you are not a redneck.

3 comments:

  1. I always thought I was half redneck, but I don't know what lightpoling is, so I guess I'm not!

    Those pictures are too cute, I love her buddha belly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her little round tummy! I'm pretty much redneck but I'm not sure what lightpoling is...you're going to have to explain that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see anything wrong with those pictures. It must be because I'm from LV!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us some love!