Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I Will Catch You

Riley has this habit that really unnerves me.

Sometimes when she is perched atop something, say the couch, top of the stairs or slide she will decide that she wants to jump down. On me. Into my arms. Whether I'm paying attention or not.
It's like the trust game. You know, where you're supposed to free fall backwards into the arms of strangers and learn to trust that they will in fact not let you fall. Except Riley's not doing it to test whether I will catch her or not. There's not a moments hesitation.

She 100% believes I will always be there to catch her when she falls.

While sometimes it's terrifying (because truly we've had some close calls when she's on top of the flight of stairs and I'm at the bottom) this knowledge made me a little bit emotional. It means that as her mother I've actually done something right.

I have shown her that she can count on me to be there when she needs me the most.

Oh Riley, you will get older and your world won't revolve around me the way it does now. Some day you will think I don't understand you and that I can't possibly feel the way you feel. There will be moments when you insist I have no idea what is going on in your life and that I'm old and unfair.

Please remember this...

I will always be there to catch you when you fall.




2 comments:

  1. So sweet! My girls tend to jump on me whether I'm paying attention or not as well, and I have never thought of it this way before. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nephew went through that phase. Went to jump off some bleachers...seriously, someone always mangages to be there, maybe they are more aware of their surroundings than we think.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us some love!