Wednesday, February 15, 2012

OTC Valentine's Display

We don't have a fireplace in our house which means this lover of decorating is mantle-less. So lately I've started improvising by using our favorite buffet piece we bought many years ago at our favorite antique spot.

I started small with the addition of my sweet white cabinet.  It's full of little things that have meaning to our family.

Then I bought this huge glass vase on clearance at HomeGoods during the Christmas season for $7! It has a tiny imperfection near the bottom, but you can't see it. I also got my little apothecary jar at the same time. In January the big vase was still full of ornaments and my jar was full of epsom salt, cranberries and a votive.

At the beginning of this month while enjoying a kid free craft shopping trip with a friend I picked up the heart wreath for $2 and the mini bell jars for $.50 each without a clue of what I would do with them. I got the green branches (also on clearance for $2) on the same trip specifically for my vase. I have pops of green throughout our main floor and it was exactly what I needed in that corner.

It all came together on a trip to Z Gallerie (oh how I love it there) when I found these gorgeous white candlesticks. Except I knew I wasn't going to use them for candles.

 

Their wide tops were the perfect base for my mini bell jars. I filled one with an "XO" I made using scrapbook paper and scrap ribbon from the glitter hearts that are in the other jar. The glitter hearts were actually part of a pick that I dismantled. I just used a little hot glue to stack them and help them stand up on the candlestick.  I filled my bell jar with large conversation hearts.  I let the kids have one or two as a reward during the day for good behavior.



I hung my wreath with a little pink rick rack from my craft supply box.  Using the same red glitter scrapbook paper I used for the "XO" I made a simple bunting.  A friend gave me the stickers from her stash.  I attached the bunting to the wreath with these cute pink clothespins that were on clearance at Michaels for $.80.



So what do you think?  Cheap, easy and festive is my favorite combination.  Do you change up seasonal decor in your home?

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving us some love!