Monday, May 18, 2009

A Wanna Be Coupon Goddess

I'm not a math genius and I never have been, but the art of couponing fascinates me. I remember the first time I saw couponing in action on Jon and Kate Plus 8 a few years ago. I was in awe that a woman with a family of 10 spent less at the grocery store than I did for my family of 2. However, back then we were what is referred to as DINKYPOPS: Dual Income No Kids Yet Plenty of Pets. We didn't give a rip about coupons because we had plenty of money and generally purchased whatever we wanted; all name brands and to satisfy whatever cravings we had.

Fast forward 2 years and we are now OHIOKSPOPS: One and a Half Income One Kid Still Plenty of Pets. Combine that with the state of our economy, and my eagerness to save as much as I can for our princess and couponing has become more than a fascination. It is a goal to be conquered and to do so I have to get more than my math brain going.

Clearly I'm not an expert on this, but I'm giving myself 5 weeks to get our grocery bills down by 50%. Seems lofty, but I observed a woman who purchased $34 worth of grocery items today and paid $4 for the whole lot after her coupons were scanned. So I'll reach for the moon and at the very least land among the reduced grocery spending stars. From what I've read on blogs and observed in the stores so far this is what I have figured:

1) I will have to shop at multiple stores for our daily groceries to take advantage of store sales and specific store coupons.
2) I will have to become adept at searching for and finding coupons online.
3) I will have to pay CLOSE attention to the store circulars for sales and awesome couponing deals like Triple Coupon Weekends up to 99 cents.
4) I will have to learn to only buy if we have a coupon or if it's on sale.

Sound easy? I hope it is while simultaneously doubting that it will be, but I will keep you updated. Motivated to join me on my adventure? I'd love to hear about it and swap deals with you!

4 comments:

  1. Have you looked at couponmom.com? She has some really good advice and she helps you find deals! I was turned off by the fact of shopping at multiple stores...but once again I'm still a DINKYPOP! I can't wait to hear how the couponing goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. told you it's addictive! One blog to read is moneysavingmom.com

    Talk to you tomorrow :) I'm doing my clipping at naptime then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-sounds great! Keep us posted on your new adventure in couponing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck, I know you'll do swell.
    and for all the leftover coupons, expired or not, you could help other families save money. If you visit the website : http://www.ocpnet.org/
    you can send coupons to military families to help them save money.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us some love!